August 09, 2014
1 cup Quinoa, uncooked
2 cups chicken stock
1 1b or 4- 6 chicken breast sliced
1 bag baby spinach/or 3 cups
2 14oz fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
sea salt to taste
(it also calls for feta or parmesan cheese i never add this but you can if you would like
1. Place chicken in the oven and bake.
2. Rinse your quinoa in a strainer for 2 minutes. ( now quinoa is extremely small and with my strainer it would go straight through so i line my strainer with paper towling and then place quinoa in strainer and rinse then. I also have heard of using a coffee strainer.) Rinsing the Quinoa is to help remove its natural coating, called saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy
3. In large saute pan, heat olive oil and add rinsed quinoa
4. Dry and toast the quinoa , letting the water evaporate. The quinoa will start to crackle keep stirring and after most of it is crackling then add Chicken Stock and salt and bring to a rolling boil. Readuce heat to medium and add the remaining ingredients
5. Cook until spinach is wilted and everything is heated through.
6. Then add baked chicken. I pull it apart with forks to make it shredded like or you can slice up the chicken into small pieces. (Then you can top it off with feta or parmesan cheese.)