Back To News

May 03, 2019

Why Keeping Score is Important

Image result for images of cuba gooding jr

“Show me the Money!”—A very memorable catch phrase from Jerry Maguire.  Cuba Gooding Jr.’s character screams this phrase into the phone at his agent Tom Cruise.  He then demands Cruise’s character to repeat the phrase back with the same fervor to demonstrate a point.  The message Cuba Gooding communicated, in such dramatic display, was he wanted to see results from the sports agent who had promised him NFL fame.  These results needed to be comprehensive—they needed to add up to success.  I would love to hear this phrase as members walked through the doors of Momentum.  CrossFit has changed the fitness industry by showing it there are measurable standards to being fit; that is our currency.  As a coach, the only way I can show you that money is by you, giving me the data needed to track your progress.  So in response to “show me the money,” I would say, “please write down your score.”

Our priorities in life come with measurable stats.  If I were to ask you what your child’s age is, would you reply, “oh around 4 or 5 years old?”  If you went to look at your latest pay stub from work, and it said a couple thousand dollars with no specificity, would you let your boss off the hook?  I would say no on both accounts.  I keep close track of the things important to me in life, and to do so, these things need to be measurable and documented.  When I started CrossFit, a major part of its appeal was the fact that I could compete with the scores of other members, measuring where I stood on a daily basis.  Eventually, the competition became all about me versus my old scores; other member’s scores lost their importance in my individual training—not to say that I don’t still like to take a peek every time I walk past the white board.  My progression in CrossFit would not have been successful had there not been data to keep me on track. 

As a coach, I see the numbers as a reflection of the job we as trainers are doing with our programing and implementation.  When I walk past the whiteboard and see a high percentage of Rx’s by the names, I know that movement, or energy system, or lift, has been thoroughly trained into our community.  When there are only a couple Rx’s on the board, I know that we as trainers need to look into how to strengthen that modality within the gym.  The time and rep ranges also paint a picture of progress or stagnation.  Many training models feed off the successes experienced within a very limited fitness domain—they keep you focused on the fact that you can bench one and a half times your body weight, while neglecting to address your inability to do a proper squat.  In my own training, I acknowledge my achievements, but I focus on my weaknesses.  To accurately do this, I need to be informed.

Momentum has shown me the money every day of my fitness journey at this gym.  When I was personal training with Coach Rachel and Coach Craig, I experienced an extremely high return on my investment.  Part of that investment was keeping them informed of my personal progress.  I kept a journal of my wod’s in most cases, and carefully documented my weights, times, and rounds.  Now as a coach, I want to do the same for you.  Lets get back to training with purpose, and help me show you the money!

Written By Coach David Carlson