Back To News

January 29, 2019

How To Make Your Goals A Reality

It is the beginning of the New Year, a common time to act on or declare a Resolution or Goal for the year. But in a month or two, will you still be striving for that goal or will you have given up? In fact, studies show that approximately 80% of people that make Resolutions do not stick to it, and I’ll bet that number is even higher. This also applies to other general Goals that you decide to set for yourself at any time of the year. So, why can’t you achieve your goals?  Here are some common faults to avoid and tactics I use to make my goals achievable:

#1) You’re All Talk and No Walk

You haven’t committed to the point of making a plan. You know what you want (ex: to lose 30lbs) but you do not create a sustainable plan. This “goal” is just a “wish” at this stage. Make a plan – How are you going to get there?

#2) Make Mini Goals to Keep You Motivated and Give You Direction

Basically, if I don’t have a plan, I’m not going anywhere. For example: If I want to lose 30lbs in a year I can’t just save it for Nov-Dec, or by then I may have forgotten about my goal. I need to make SMALL stepping stone goals to keep my motivation up and momentum moving in the right direction. For example: In order to lose that 30lbs – I have 12 months, so that is about 2.5lbs a month. I will start with months #1-2 replacing most heavy carbs with vegetables, sleep 8hrs 6 nights a week, and drink water with every meal. Months #2-3 I will cut my alcohol down to 1x per week, and track protien while still doing all the other things. Months #3-5 I will give myself something to train for like a Crossfit competition, road race etc. I may lose all the weight in 6 months, so the months after become how to keep that weight off and have a lifestyle I can maintain. You MUST make mini goals (behavior changes) that are doable and maintainable. You will pick up momentum as you go.

#3) Is Your Mindset Is All Wrong?

a)   You need to be in it for the long haul! You cannot change your behavior and make new habits without making changes you can sustain over a long period of time. For example: Crossfit is a lifetime sport and it’s not for the “30 Days To A 6 Pack” people. These people also do not tend to stick with their Goals or Resolutions. We live in a quick fix society and we still think we can quickly change ourselves even though we KNOW that big changes take time, commitment, and hard work. So, don’t dupe yourself into thinking your lofty goal is going to be easily accomplished in a few weeks.

b)  You need to change the way you set your goals. Maybe you don’t need to make a big goal. Maybe you don’t need to make a goal of going to the Crossfit Games or getting “super” good, and all you need to focus on is competing in this year’s Friday Night Lights. Make a more attainable goal and leave it at that. But even a small goal needs an active plan. For example: One of my personal goals this year is to read more – so my plan is to start by reading 20mins 2x a week.

c)  Do you dread change? Maybe you NEED to make this change but really don’t want to? I’m telling you that you have to “fake it till you make it”. You have to pretend you enjoy the new habits to get you started and frame the changes in a positive light. If you NEED to lose that 30+ lbs for your health – say to yourself: “I am gladly choosing to do this for myself”. This is my choice that I gladly make”. Soon you will gladly be making those changes, you just got to get over that hump. 

For the Nutrition Challenge this year I told myself “You love feeling good and you love eating all of these nourishing vegetables” - - - Guess what? I loved vegetables even more! I don’t miss my shitty food #1) because I don’t deny myself little treats(and beer), but mostly #2) because I love treating my body right and feeling like a million bucks!

So, create S.M.A.R.T. goals to get you to that ultimate goal or resolution:

S – Specific

M – Measurable

A – Attainable

R – Relevant

T – Time-bound

Feel free to schedule a Goals Meeting with your Primary Coach if you need help creating a plan that will make you succeed. Make THIS year the year you DO what you’ve always wanted to!

-  Coach Jamie B.